Who is Mae Moo?

Saturday 16 May 2015

Ice's regret, Janie's got a Kueng, the ins and outs

Singer's sorrow over road death
Ice and his parents
Singer Sarunyu "Ice" Winaipanit is having a tough time coming to terms with the death of a pedestrian he hit as he was returning from a concert this month.

A teary Ice and his parents fronted the media last Monday, the same day as police called in the young singer to acknowledge charges of reckless driving causing death.

Earlier, doctors at Lat Phrao hospital, where victim Wichai Yaiyong, 43, was admitted after the accident, said the man died on May 7. His body has been sent for an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

Ice, who often broke into tears as he described his accident ordeal, said he is willing to take responsibility in any way he can.

The singer, who had taken on financial responsibility for the patient’s care, was shocked by his death. Earlier reports said the man was out of danger.

The accident occurred on April 30 as Ice was returning home from a concert at a hotel in the Charoen Krung area. Ice failed to brake in time to avoid hitting the man, who was crossing the road in Ram Intra Soi 14 in Bang Khen district about 11.30pm.

A taxi travelling behind him also failed to stop in time, and ran into the back of Ice’s Honda CRV.

Ice, who denied he had been drinking, said the soi was dark. "I braked and swung into the next lane to avoid hitting him, but it was too late," he said.

"Everything happened so fast. My first reaction was to give him a wai, but when I left the car he was lying face down on the ground. A group of men sitting nearby came to my aid, and a medical foundation arrived promptly. They said he was still conscious on the way to hospital, and there was no blood," Ice said.

He could not follow the man immediately to hospital, as he had to wait for police. However, he sent a friend after the victim to make sure he was alright, and stayed in contact with doctors until daybreak to check on his condition. His mother was in the provinces, but travelled back to Bangkok promptly to help her son.

Ice turned up at Khok Khram police station the next day to give evidence. He has since been back a second time to acknowledge charges.

The Grammy singer said he, his manager or someone from his family had been in touch with the victim’s family constantly since the accident, keeping vigil at the hospital every day.

He had paid to have Wichai’s body transferred back to his home province of Surin, and last Sunday had acted as hosts of his bathing ceremony.

"His family tied string around my wrists in a ceremony to call up our spirits and boost our morale. They understand it was an accident. I didn’t expect that, as I just went there to apologise," he said.

"No one wants an accident to happen, but when it does, the best thing to do is take responsibility."

Even though Ice appears to have done everything right, at least by his own account, few of his industry friends have come out publicly to lend him support. 

One notable exception is actress Panisa "Opal" Pimpru, who said she had been friends with Ice for 10 years and knew he would never shirk responsibility.

"He’s a good kid. He doesn’t drink or go out. He’s a hard worker, and sensitive. He doesn’t disappoint and isn’t malicious," she wrote on social media.

"Ice has taken responsibility for everything from his heart. He hasn’t tried to assert any special rights or asked anyone else to front for him. May I express my sorrow to the bereaved, and pass on encouragement to my friend. I hope you emerge stronger for it." -

2. An acrobatic love life
Janie, Kueng
Actress Janie Tienphosuwan admits she is "close friends" with hi-so businessman Chalermchai "Kueng" Mahagitsiri, but says only time will tell if they are made for each other.

Janie was asked about the man in her life after he was spotted accompanying her to a number of outings, including a shop opening, and an acrobatic display in which she cavorted on a ring above the crowd at a department store.

Kueng, a member of a family which made its fortune from the Thai Nescafe brand, heads an entertainment company which brings Korean talent into Thailand to perform. He writes brief messages to her on social media, but their outing to the department store was regarded by many as their first big date.

While Janie acquitted herself well on the hoops, the moment did not pass without some aggravation. 

Kueng’s ex-girlfriend, actress Natthaweeranuch "Jah" Thongmee, chose this moment to take what some regarded as a pot shot at the couple on social media.

"Meeting some people makes me realise I have been hiding in a coconut shell," she said, likening herself to an ignorant frog in a Thai proverb.

Asked about the remark, Jah insisted she was referring to her university thesis. She added a hashtag, "this is not about love" and "thesis writing" to make her intent clear after some fans, interpreting the message as really one about her failed relationship with Kueng, started sending her moral support.

"I was surprised some people would make the connection, as our relationship ended a while ago now," she said.

Jah was among the guests at last week’s celebrity-studded wedding of actress Araya "Chompoo" A Hargate and millionaire businessman Nott Witsarut. Janie, despite being a friend of Chompoo’s, was notable for her absence.

Asked whether she pulled out of the wedding to avoid meeting Jah, Janie insisted it wasn’t so. "I am sorry I couldn’t go, but I was busy rehearsing my acrobatic show. One wrong move and it could have cost me my life. I haven’t yet passed on my wishes, but I don’t want anyone to see my not going as a drama," said Janie.

Kueng has stayed largely mum about his relationship with Janie, though in one interview he says he prefers simple women who don’t mind eating food on the street. Despite his fabulous wealth, he says he is one of those salt-of-the-earth types himself. -

3. Of posting up and taking down

Nong In
Former child actress and gym owner Natnicha "Nong In" Cherdchubuppakaree is defending a picture of her modelling a two-piece bathing suit after critics said she was acting beyond her years.

Nong In, 18, now involved in the fitness industry, said she posed for the shot, published on Instagram, after a friend who owns a fashion store asked her to promote it.

She agreed to let her friend post the picture for two days. Just as criticism was mounting against her on social media, her friend took down the pictures as agreed, but without explaining what was happening. 

It looked as if she had taken the pictures down as a result of criticism, but Nong In says it isn’t so. "I don’t think it was too strong. I have been swimming since the first year of primary school. I wore a one piece or a two piece throughout. I don’t feel odd, as everyone else wears the same thing.

"Mum has seen me in swimming costumes since I was kid, and didn’t think it was anything unusual. She was probably a little taken aback when she first saw the picture, because she is more used to seeing me in the gym. My aunt sent her the pictures and mum called me, as we weren’t together at the time.

"I explained and mum was fine, though she asked me to let her know in future if I intended to pose for such pictures," she said.

Nong In, who admits she is the direct type, said she has been going out with model Pee Peerapat for a year.

"I would rather be open about the relationship, as I don’t want anyone else approaching me. However, if it doesn’t work I will drop him in favour of someone else, as I am entitled to look for the best," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment