Who is Mae Moo?

Sunday 29 October 2017

The power of three resonates late king’s goodwill

Wawa

Three celebrities are showing King Bhumibol’s word can reach younger people committed to pursuing his good deeds as the country paused last week to send the late monarch to heaven.


Actress Maripha “Wawa” Siriphool, 21, of the series Room Alone, went before the media last week with a framed letter she received from the late King four years ago after she made a personal pledge to carry out his work.

She was joined by actress and model Praya “Poo” Lundberg (also known as Praya Soandokmai), who spoke about her work as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, and singer “Ble” Patumrach R Siam, who, fresh out of the monkhood where he made merit for the late King, is about to serve the nation as a military conscript.

Perhaps the most moving contribution came from actress and university student Wawa, who disclosed she wrote to the King four years ago when she was still at school, shortly after his Dec 5 birthday, which both she and her mother shares with him.

“The King had just left Siriraj Hospital, heading to his palace in Hua Hin for a break. I wrote to him promising I would do good things for society and try to advance the work the King had done,” she said.

“I had read a book about the King’s works. It occurred to me that he is a monarch, and doesn’t have to push himself so hard. I am an ordinary Thai but had done nothing for my country.

“I saw he was unwell, but still toiling for us. That made me think I wanted to carry out his work; I want to be a member of the new generation who does good deeds for society.”

Wawa’s family have a special bond with the late monarch, in that she and her mother share the same birthday as him.

“On his birthday he would speak to the public and offer advice. It was like I received a birthday blessing, a present from him every year as I was growing up,” she said.

“I wrote many versions of the letter, but chose the one which was closest to my heart. I remember being impressed by a remark of His Majesty’s when he said the world has both good and bad people, and what are we to do if the good people don’t stand up and be counted?

“He also spoke about what to do with acidic soil. The King took a large amount of water to clean it so it could be farmed again. In my letter, I said I would be like the water we take to clean the soil.

“I didn’t tell anyone I sent it, and didn’t even know if he would read it. But I knew I would be disappointed in myself if I didn’t keep my word.”

Wawa said she didn’t expect a reply, as she thought the content might not be up to muster. However, she checked the letter box every day in anticipation one would come anyway. Three months later, a letter from the Office of His Majesty’s Principal Private Secretary arrived.

“Even when it arrived I couldn’t believe it had come from the palace. I was so excited I tore it open,” she said.

“In the letter, the King’s deputy private secretary said he had conveyed the contents of the letter to His Majesty, who passed on his thanks. Khob jai, the King said.

“The letter has enormous value for me, because I know he read it. It was no longer just a promise because he knows about it now.

“I promptly laid down a new plan for my life. I decided to study social and policy development, which I am pursuing now at university, and enter teaching so I could pass on to the next generation the King’s sustainable development theory.”

Wawa believes the late King’s thank you had special significance, as he was unwell.  “On the face of it, it looks like he is simply thanking me for wishing him a happy birthday; but I think it is actually a thank you for offering to carry on his work,” she said.

“I sent it when the King was still with us, when it would be easier to see if my promise came to anything. Today when he is no longer here I have to try harder to show results.”

Among other youngsters speaking about the late King’s impression on their lives, as the country last week marked his cremation in a grand ceremony after a year of grieving, is actress Poo, also a goodwill ambassador for the UNHCR.

Poo and her farang friend
Poo, who has visited refugee camps on Thailand’s border, said she had met the families of refugees from Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia who had fled to this country for sanctuary during WWII.

“The King and Queen gave them a place to live, and the refugee families I met are grateful to this day,” she said.

“I am impressed that these refugees, even though they are not Thais, have absorbed the goodness of the King’s works. Everyone has a picture of the King in their homes. I also intend to follow in the King’s footsteps by helping society, including farmers, as my grandparents worked the land.”

Poo last week accompanied her farang boyfriend to the Thai embassy in Los Angeles to pay their respects to the late King.

Meanwhile, Isan singer “Ble” Patumrach R Siam will don army fatigues as a conscripted soldier in Prachin Buri on Nov 3 with the late King uppermost in his mind.

This is a busy period for the young star, after he earlier entered the monkhood last month to thank his parents for their sacrifices and make merit for the late monarch.

“I am very proud about the prospect of being a soldier for the late King. At first I was worried about conscription but when I saw His Majesty’s good works and the sacrifices he made, I felt better,” Ble said.
Ble
“I am pleased I have the opportunity to give something back to my country. I want to further his teachings and vow to work hard and exercise patience and restraint in the name of the sufficiency lifestyle,” he said.

In other news, veteran actress and DJ Hattaya “Ple” Wongkrachang and her husband, director and actor Saranyu “Tua” Wongkrachang have come under fire for posting pictures of their family in the pouring rain as they paid tribute to the late King outside the Royal Palace.
Ple, Tua and family

The couple, accompanied by their twin daughters, Supara “Look Noon”, and Sitala “Look Nang”, joined mourners in laying flowers before a portrait of the late monarch, but were criticised on social media for playing up the rain-soaked hardship they underwent.

The image shows them looking happy enough despite the rain, but for their critics they were trying to drum up publicity. 

Posting in response, Look Nang said critics were attributing motives to them which didn’t exist. “We can’t stop people thinking these things, but we were happy to be there, and did nothing wrong,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment