Who is Mae Moo?

Sunday 5 November 2023

Spite takes boy’s life, bitter old love, parting anxiety

Loving dad turns bad

 Natthapol ‘Joe’ Sangprasert

Locals are aghast after a young Prachuap Khiri Khan father who by everyone’s accounts deeply loved his son nonetheless took the six-year-old’s life to spite his wife, who had left him a month earlier and refused to return.

Hua Hin police nabbed Natthapol “Joe” Sangprasert, 24, for killing his son, Ratchanon “Nong Japan” Sornchalerm, by asphyxiation as the little boy sat in his lap.

Mr Natthapol, who after killing the boy concealed his body in a remote grasslands area about 300m from his home, and claimed to police that the boy had disappeared from his pickup as he ducked into a roadside eatery to buy a meal, kept up this pretense for the next couple of days before being caught out.

He organised a search for the boy, laid a bogus police complaint, conjured up a sighting of a suspicious looking vehicle close to where he said the boy disappeared, and even blamed his hapless wife for the boy’s fate.
Nong Japan

Oddly enough, media reports say the boy was actually still alive for almost 24 hours after he alerted police at 9.30pm on Oct 27, but Mr Natthapol kept him out of sight. He laid his missing person’s complaint almost as if he wanted to convince himself to go ahead.

The young father, who works as a landscape gardener for motels, told police he had parked on the Hua Hin-Nong Phlap Road as he bought a meal from a roadside shop. He left his son, who some media reports say was aged just four, inside the vehicle playing on his phone.

At the time he was talking to police, the boy was still sitting in the vehicle waiting for his father to return. Later he really did go to buy them something to eat, and the child was once again still alive.

Finally, at 5pm next day, he parked on the road about 300m from his home, put Nong Japan on his lap and placed his hand over his nose and mouth until he stopped breathing. The little boy evidently put up a struggle, as police found his body with bruising under his left eye and under his chin. A post mortem showed he had been suffocated.

Mr Natthapol hid the boy’s body in grassland by a sugarcane farm. At midnight the same day, he contacted police again to say that a search he had organised with friends and family had found the little boy’s body in the grassy spot about 2m from the road, in a soi behind Wat Nong Khra.

Mr Natthapol was caught out when police noticed inconsistencies in his account, and perhaps most fatefully when an Oct 27 sound clip came to light which he sent his estranged wife following the boy’s disappearance.

In the message, he said: “Nong Japan is happy now. He’s not here any more. As you were happy to leave your son, I have now abandoned him too.”

By 9am on Oct 29, after many hours of questioning by police, he admitted having taken the boy’s life himself.

Mr Natthapol’s estranged wife, identified in media reports as Pleum, said the boy’s father had claimed many times that their son had gone missing or that he had died, to coax her into returning to him.

As a result, and given his dedication to raising the boy, she knew his Oct 27 claims that Nong Japan had wandered off and could not be found were unlikely to be true.

“Normally he would not let Nong Japan from his sights. I left Nong Japan with his father on Oct 2 after he claimed that I was raising him poorly,” she said, when asked by reporters, a little unkindly, why she entrusted the boy to the suspect’s care.

Pleum said she left her husband because he kept beating her up. Once he hit her with a piece of wood so badly she had to go to hospital.

“I knew he loved our son, so felt safe leaving him with the father,” she said when she heard that her husband, despite that, had taken the boy’s life.

Panatchakorn, the suspect’s aunt who says she raised Mr Natthapol almost as another son, said his house was close by her own.

The suspect adored his son, she said, which makes his tragic decision to end the boy’s life all the more mystifying. “He spoon-fed the boy, took Nong Japan to work with him, and brought him home to play at my place in the evenings,” she said.

“I know he told his wife that if she didn’t want to help raise their son, he didn’t want the boy either,” she said. “I reckon he was spiteful towards her, but forgot himself. He didn’t really mean to kill the boy,” she said.

Police said Mr Natthapol acted partly out of stress after his wife left the burden of raising the boy in his care, though he clearly also resented her decision to leave and knew his hurtful actions would devastate her.

They checked him for traces of drugs, but found nothing. Mr Natthapol was charged with the premeditated murder of his son, despite his own claims to have taken his life unintentionally.

Four years seems like yesterday
Surasak Chuea-sa-at

A young man in Chiang Rai who broke up with his girlfriend four years ago dared the new man in her life to a fight in which the newcomer was fatally stabbed.

Thoeng police nabbed a suspect known as Frame in connection with the death of Surasak Chuea-sa-at, 19, who was stabbed three times in the back, right rib cage, and under his right arm during a fight on Oct 28. The victim died later at hospital.

Frame and Surasak were already rivals, news reports say, when the victim took up with Frame’s old love, identified as Pangram, 17.

Pangram said she and Surasak had known each other for two months and decided to go steady a month ago. He was planning to visit her parent’s place on Nov 1 to ask if they could get engaged but Frame challenged him to a “duel” (a one-on-one fight) beforehand which resulted in him ending up dead.
News reports say a Facebook user by the name of Thanaphat Kruthun contacted the victim about 10.21pm and challenged him to settle the matter of who should get the girl.

Surasak asked 10 of his mates to turn out on his behalf, while Frame asked 20 of his mates to accompany him as supporters. CCTV images show the two sides turning up at the arranged spot on their motorcycles.

With the two sides so dramatically unmatched, things quickly turned nasty. As Surasak was approaching Frame, his mates started hurling beer bottles at Surasak’s supporters.

When they went to Surasak’s aid, one of Frame’s mates pulled out a gun, according to news reports, and told the group to sit there and do nothing. He also forbade them from pulling out their phones to record the fight.

Sua, 22, one of Surasak’s supporters, said the victim turned up at his place at midnight, asking if he would go with him.

“He was walking over to see Frame’s crowd when they started raising a hue and cry and throwing bottles. Three or four guys charged at him, and Surasak fell over onto a rice field. I went to help but someone in Frame’s group pulled out the gun,” he told reporters.

“Frame and three others started laying into Surasak and held his head into a pool of muddy water until the victim was still. Another guy stabbed him with a hand-held scraper three times and then the group fled,” he said.

Police quickly arrested Frame and were rounding up other members of his gang as news reports went to press.

Pangram said Frame often demanded she return to him. “If he saw Surasak picking me up outside my place, Frame and his mates would go and attack him later when he was alone,” she said. Frame had contacted Surasak asking him to clear the matter before, and she would tell him to pay no mind. She felt saddened by the whole thing, as she was looking forward to getting engaged.

Return to sender
A man in Chumphon shot to death his estranged wife after pleading with her unsuccessfully to return to their old life, after she left him to escape his jealous anger.

Sawi police nabbed Thongsuk Chaisit for the fatal shooting of his wife, Ratchanee, 49, at the home of a friend’s place.

Ratchanee was shot in the right temple, right chest, and twice in the groin with a .38. Her husband fired at her with barely a word, and one stray bullet also injured the female friend, Pattsaporn, 46, with whom she was staying. Mr Thongsuk was waiting to hand himself in when police arrived.

Samruay, 26, the victim’s son, said Mr Thongsuk, his stepfather, was driven by jealousy. “He would beat up my mother out of unfounded fears she was seeing someone else,” he told reporters. “They were together for years but she left recently. Every time they argued and split up, my mother would weaken and let him come back. This time she had yet to return.”

Reporters went to Wat Khao Ta Pol for the victim’s funeral, where they spoke to Prasarn, 48, the husband of Pattsaporn, the woman shot by the stray bullet. “Ratchanee was staying with us after leaving her husband. He walked in behind me on the day of the attack unannounced, pulled out a gun and started shooting at his wife. I have never seen anything so traumatic,” he said.

Mr Thongsuk had turned up at his place four times previously asking her to come back. “My wife saw him first, walking behind me as I entered our place. I hadn’t seen him there. She asked who let him in. He pulled out the gun and started shooting. She called out to stop, but he carried on, and my wife was hit by stray fire,” he said, adding she was now out of danger. Police charged Mr Thongsuk with murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment