Sunday, 13 November 2022

Noodle pan anger, 191 caller shock, arsonist off his meds

Just step over the corpse

Chanon Klinubon

A Phetchaburi drunk spent an entire day slumped at the foot of the stairs leading to his second-storey bedroom before his family noticed he was dead.

Suwit Kaewsirat, 46, died after his brother-in-law Chanon Klinubon, 42, hit him over the head with a small iron pan after the two argued at his place in Cha-Am district on Nov 6.

The pan is the type used to boil noodles. Chanon struck Suwit with it a few times to teach him a lesson, he told police upon his arrest the next day. He did not mean to kill him, he said.

Suwit’s mother, Thiap Kaewsrirat, 82, who lives alone with her son, was sitting outside her place with Suwit at 4pm when Mr Chanon strode over and beaned him with the pan.

“I asked Why did you hit him? He’s not the type to fight back. What’s he done wrong?” But Chanon didn’t answer, he simply went home,” she told reporters.

The two were both heavy drinkers and bickered often, with Suwit accusing Mr Chanon, who like Suwit himself has no job, of leaching off his wife.

Suwit Kaewsirat
The two started drinking that morning and Mr Chanon had returned home where he lives with Suwit’s elder sister before emerging again in early evening to strike his drinking partner over the head.

The pair are neighbours in the same housing compound. As well as being a heavy drinker, Mr Chanon also takes speed, his mother-in-law told the media.

After being hit over the head, Suwit staggered inside, leaving a trail of blood. He tried to climb the stairs leading to his room but collapsed. However, Ms Thiap is used to seeing him in that pose, as he often fails to make the stairs if he has been drinking heavily.

He sleeps across the stairs until he wakes, which can take a whole day if he has been drinking heavily enough.

“I thought nothing of it as he has collapsed there before,” she said. “Come the next morning, I still thought nothing of it, assuming he was sleeping it off.

“At 4pm, I called him for a meal and went to shake him, and discovered he was dead. I asked the neighbours to call police,” she said.

Police say they discovered a pool of blood outside where the victim was hit, on the floor inside, a large pool of blood in the bathroom, and another one at the foot of the stairs. The extensive blood spill appears to have gone undetected by his mother, who carried on life as usual.

Mr Chanon, whom police found at his home, admitted hitting his brother-in-law. Media reports said he hadn’t fled anywhere as he didn’t know the victim was dead.

Soontree Klinubon, 48, the victim’s elder sister, said she found out the news when she returned from work about 6pm. “My brother has picked fights with Chanon repeatedly over the past 12 months. I have gone to the police but they hold him for a day or half a day and he comes back home again,” she said.

Ms Thiap said her son doesn’t stand up for himself, so he often gets beaten. “Neither of them listens to anyone,” she grumbled.

Mr Chanon said his drinking habit had led to a psychiatric disorder, leaving him unable for work. He admitted arguing often with Suwit, and attacking him previously with a piece of wood or steel pipe. The assaults had drawn blood, but Suwit kept bouncing back. On this occasion, he didn’t.

“I didn’t think hitting with a pan a few times would do much damage, and would like to say sorry to his spirit,” he said during a crime reconstruction. Police charged him with deadly assault and taking illicit drugs.

Emergency line not much help

Komsan Phanprom
An Udon Thani murder suspect who barricaded himself inside his home as armed police surrounded the place called 191 for help.

Komsan Phanprom, 32, who took drugs the night before, called 191 to complain that police had surrounded his home, apparently unaware of why they were there.

It is not known how the shocked 191 operators responded, but police had to spend two hours talking to him via a megaphone before he agreed to surrender.

Earlier, Mr Komsan set alight a signal tower before stabbing to death village head Sawai Ajharn, 55, when he insisted on putting out the blaze.

Sawai was also called out the previous evening when Mr Komsan set alight another signal tower, though the earlier encounter passed without incident.

When Mr Komsan struck him with a 50cm Sparta knife, Sawai called out in pain, attracting the attention of locals. Mr Komsan fled to his home in Koo Kaew district, which local, regional and SWAT police surrounded as they coaxed him to come out.

They brought various family members to the scene to persuade him to give up, without success, and also fired in tear gas, once again with no result.

Later a policeman who acts as Mr Komsan’s mentor for his drug problem decided to have a go. He entered the house, told Mr Komsan he faced no danger, and offered to take him to visit his ailing mother in hospital.

Mr Komsan, who lives alone with his mother, aged 60, agreed to surrender. Police say he was all smiles and offered a wai to officers as he walked from his home, which he had festooned with religious signs to ward off bad spirits.

He told police later that he had killed Sawai in a dispute over land. It is unclear why he was unhappy with Sawai, though the killer also admitted taking two methamphetamine pills the night before the attack.

A witness, Anon Orasri, 25, said village heads have warned Mr Komsan previously about his drug habit. Mr Anon joined village officials as they were putting out the second blaze. As Sawai was putting out his fire, Mr Komsam told him to stop. “He said nothing further, just pulled out his weapon and hit him from the rear,” Mr Anon said.

Police charged Mr Komsan with killing an official in the course of his duty, damaging state property and taking illicit drugs.

He had a brainwave
Nong Beer sets snacks at the store alight

A bachelor’s graduate with a psychiatric illness set alight to a convenience store in Udon Thani because he thought someone was sending signals to his brain.

Nong Beer, aged 28, from Muang district, used a lighter to set alight some snacks in the store, in full view of a CCTV camera, and calmly walked out. Staff who noticed the smell put out the flames with a fire extinguisher before the blaze could do much damage.

Staff at the store, in a petrol station compound on Udon Thai-Khon Kaen Road, called the police, who examined the CCTV. In the video, The shop appears to be empty and no staff are in sight.

Nong Beer was wearing a black USA sweatshirt, jeans, and a face mask, but made no attempt to disguise his identity. Examining the CCTV vision, staff remarked on how well-dressed the young man looked.

Police arrested Nong Beer at his home at 5.40pm that day. He was sitting outside wearing the same clothes he wore to the store that morning and put up no resistance. Police also seized the Honda Wave he travelled on, which had no registration plate.

Nong Beer told police that someone was sending V25 (voice to skull, or mind control) signals to his brain and heart. He was thinking about setting alight a department store but the signal was so strong he decided to do it closer to home.

He wanted his exploits to make the news in the hope that would deter the person annoying him with the signal, and thought the fire would do the trick. In July, he added, he climbed a wall at Government House in Bangkok. Police caught him and held him for seven days.

His father, 62, said Nong Beer, the elder of two sons, is being treated at Udon Thani hospital for a psychiatric illness. “His girlfriend dumped him two years ago and he turned to drugs. Now he talks nonsense,” he said.

“Five months ago we took him to be treated at Somdet Chao Phraya (psychiatric) Hospital. They gave him medication which he has taken at home for the past four months, before we switched to Udon Thani. I suspect he wasn’t taking drugs continually so lapsed into a bad state again,” he added.

His son graduated in mechanical technology seven years ago. Officers charged Nong Beer with setting alight others’ property, though he will have to undergo further treatment before he can face legal action.

No comments:

Post a Comment